Thursday, May 8, 2014

Pocket Pizzazz on a Yellow Gingham Dress


This is another one of my creations where I got a little creative with making a pocket. If you're going to put in all that work to make a pocket, then it might as well have some extra pizzazz, right?! This time, I used an old placemat to give it that extra something. Yep. A placemat. Weird, I know. I happened to have some old floral placemats that I no longer use (come to think about it, I'm not sure if I ever used them. Probably much to the joy of my entire family), so of course I had to find a new way to use them. Waste not, want not! Thank goodness I thought of a new way to use them, because look how gorgeous this pocket is and all I had to do was cut it from the placemat.  

Before I cut into the placemat, I used a disappearing ink maker to make my pattern for the pocket; keeping the beautiful handwork in the center and allowing a nice 1 1/4" header on the top.  Then I cut the pocket out right along those lines, ironed seam 1/4" allowances and sewed it onto the skirt of this dress. 

For the pattern, I used The Junebug dress by Craftiness is not Optional.  I lined the bodice with a soft white cotton and added buttons covered with the same fabric as the border of the dress. I love how it turned out.  And who would ever suspect that this beautifully adorned pocket used to be something I ate off of! 

 



I'd love to show you this dress on my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter but when she saw the color, she emphatically declared, "Grandmother, I don't like yellow!"  Fine, I thought, you're not getting this dress because I love how it turned out.  I've got two other granddaughters and one more who should be joining her family any time now.  I'll just wait for them to grow and hope that one of them likes yellow...just curious, do you like yellow?

xoxo Grandma
Shared at: Creating My Way to Success, The Dedicated House, Treading My Way, Simple Simon and Company, Nap Time Creations

No comments: