Monday, September 29, 2014

Falling for Denim


Take one vintage pattern: 


Change it up. A lot.  And you get the cutest Fall jean jacket! Here's my granddaughter modeling my latest creation (and her newest piece of her Autumn wardrobe):


I started this project with coral denim fabric that a friend gave me and added denim colored Rit Dye to get this lovely, rich plum color.  I wanted a peacoat style jacket but being frugal, I resorted to using this pattern by deleting the mandarin collar, making the bodice one piece, adding a pleat in the back and taking the gather out of those sleeves.  It would have saved me hours of labor if I would have just purchased a pattern!  I know, I'm a little crazy... but this jacket turned out great and that's what counts, right?


I lined the jacket in adorable owl fabric that I found at Hobby Lobby.  

 I think she really likes those owls!


She even tried her new easy-sew fall dress under her jacket.  It's always nice when a jacket looks great with more than one outfit.  For more photos of that dress and a tutorial on how easy it is to sew together, go HERE.




If you look closely, you'll see the cute woven design on the jacket's buttons. I love them! They are from La Mode and are called "Hook."  I love that these buttons resemble wicker and are washable. So many buttons I looked at for this jacket were dry clean or hand wash only.  Really, who would send a child's clothes to the dry cleaners? I can bet none of the mothers of young children have time to hand wash their children's clothes. So these buttons were a perfect find! 

Now to reveal what she was wearing underneath that cute denim jacket: 



The next part of this Fall outfit is the stretch denim leggings which were refashioned from a pair of my daughters old "jeggings."  She purchased them online and when they arrived they were too small and she just never got around to returning them.  So, she handed them over to me to refashion. 


If you'll note the above photo... this little nine month old model of mine is teething big time. The drool coming out of her cute little mouth is never ending! It made me laugh seeing it captured in the picture and ready to plop on her new outfit. Oh what a mess, but so cute in her new outfit, right?

Lastly, I sewed up a mustard, long sleeve top, which has denim piping and a little mustard colored lace inserted into the bodice.  This top was refashioned from one of my camisoles that was too big for me when I purchased it. I thought it would shrink, but it never did.  So why not use it to make this darling girl a complete Fall outfit?



So there you have it, week 3 of Project Run and Play's denim challenge.  I'm falling for denim this time of year, aren't you?    xoxo Grandma

Linked to:  Threading My Way, Nap time Creations, Project Run and Play, Lou Lou Girls, Crafty Allie, The Dedicated House

No comments: