Monday, April 17, 2017

Linen Napkin Into a Bag - A Tutorial


If you follow me, you may remember that I inherited quite a few linen napkins several years ago. When given these napkins, I was challenged to use them and transform them into something else. So, here is one of the ideas I created... a darling linen hand bag.

To create this small, fully lined zipper bag, I used one of those linen napkins for the front of my bag.

I wanted my pocket to hold my cell phone. When I go on international trips to visit a few of my grandchildren, I take a backpack onto the plane.  I wanted to use this little bag to tuck into my backpack so that when I'm at their homes I still have a smaller bag to take with me shopping and sightseeing. This bag is the perfect size.

To make this project, you'll need:
  • Fabric scraps at least 8 1/4" square
  • Light weight batting
  • 1) 7" zipper
  • Coordinating thread
  • Bag handle - 12" long (I found mine at the 100 yen store in Japan called Daiso.)
Cut as follows:
  • 3) 8 1/2" squares - fabric bag back & bag lining
  • 1) 6 1/2" long x 8" wide - fabric rectangle cell phone pocket
  • 2) 6 3/4" long x 2 3/4" wide - fabric pocket flap (The lining can be from a different fabric.)
  • 2) 8 1/2" square - batting
*All seams 1/4"
  1. Right sides together, fold the pocket fabric in half and pin.  Sew the 3 sides together leaving an opening to turn the pocket right side out and iron.
  2. Round the bottom corners of the flap.  Right sides facing, pin the flap together. Sew the flap leaving an opening at the top of the flap.  Turn the flap right side out and iron.  Top stitch around the sides and the bottom of the flap.
  3. Center the pocket onto the bottom portion of the linen napkin an at least 1" from the bottom.  Pin the pocket in place and top stitch around the sides and bottom.  1/2" above the top of the pocket, pin the flap.  Top stitch along the top of the flap.
  4. Unzip the zipper and sew one side of the zipper into the linen napkin.  Make sure the zipper pull is facing the right side of the napkin.  Turn the napkin over and on the right side of the napkin, top stitch along the edge.
  5. Turn the project over and add the other side of the zipper to the back of the bag.
  6. Take the bag linings pieces and baste the light weight batting to the linings. Sew one side each to the top, wrong side of the zipper. 
  7. Top stitch one more time to keep the lining and the front of the bag from getting caught in the zipper.
  8. Another detailed look at the top of the bag.
  9. One last detailed look of the top stitching on the back of the bag.
  10. Turn the front and back of the bag right sides together and pin.  Sew together pivoting at the corners.  Clip the corners.  Make sure the zipper is open for this step.
  11. Repeat step 10 with the lining pieces only leave an opening to turn the whole bag right side out.  Clip corners and turn right side out.  Tuck the lining into the bag.  Either machine or hand sew the opening closed.

12. Clip the bag handle onto the zipper's pull tab.


I hope you have fun repurposing your linen napkins! Maybe your own little linen bag will get to go on some fun adventures too!  xoxo Grandma

You might this post:
20 Fabulous Ways to Repurpose Vintage Linens

For the best little sewing scissors you'll love:

No comments: